Friday, September 2, 2011

Autumn Door


I took this photo in 2009 for my photography class. We live in a region that has marvelous vineyards close by just perfect for a scenic fall drive in the country. 


My final project for photography class required a little day trip so my husband and I took to the road.  He has always been so great about spontaneously stopping in the car for whatever comes our way.  Back in the dating days, it may have been to stop the car and get fresh with me stealing a kiss.    These days, it's to stop the car to take an interesting photo.  Too funny how times have changed.   


As we were doing our sight seeing, I spotted a most amazing door.  It was still standing, weathered and vine covered while the rest of the building had crumbled around the door frame. I think the vines were holding the doorframe in tacked.  Like natures duct-tape - remove the "duct tape" vines and the whole mess crumbles to the ground. 


I am so very lucky to have a great accommodating husband - and he is so very lucky to have a wife that talks the language of duct tape, a mans language. 


In this layout, I used the wonderful Dusty Attic vines and painted them with gesso to add some texture.  Then layered some Tim Holtz stain over it followed by stickles in various fall colors to emulate the Autumn feel of the photo.


I swear BoBunny was standing right behind me when I took this shot and used the door as their inspiration for their magnificent piece of paper in the Timepiece collection.  Right down to the bricks in the was crumbling away.   The paper is every bit as gorgeous as the scene was. 


I used the Prima brick stamp to complete my crumbled building look.  I used Tim Holtz Vintage photo Distressed embossing powder over the stamp.   

Thanks for looking

3 comments:

  1. Jen, that is one of the most jaw-droppingly, awesomely gorgeous photos that I've ever seen!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

    Loveeeeeeee this blog, btw!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it just gorgeous. It is so the door to the hidden garden in the gorgeous children's book "The Secret Garden", one of my all time favourites and after seeing this beautiful lo, I'm itching to read it again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS photo and page!!I love all the weathered brick!

    ReplyDelete